Failure in Course Work
- A PhD student registered in a regular course shall be declared fail in that if she / he
obtains a GP (grade point) of less than 2.0 .
- A PhD student shall be required to maintain a minimum CGPA (cumulative grade point average) of 3.0 at
the scale of 4.0
- If a student fails to maintain the minimum required CGPA in course work then she / he should either
improve it to meet the requirement or opt for MS / MPhil.
- A student failing to qualify any of the courses of departmental or subject requirement in three attempts
will cease to be a PhD student of PIEAS.
- A PhD student registered for a minimum of 9 credit hours of course work in a semester and does not obtain
a minimum semester GPA of 1.0 shall be declared Fail and her / his registration shall be cancelled.
Failure / Probation in Research Work
PhD student registered in research / dissertation course shall be required to maintain SATISFACTORY Grade throughout
her / his PhD.
- A PhD Student obtaining an UNSATISFACTORY result at the end of any semester in research / dissertation course
(XXX699) will be placed on probation.
- A PhD Student obtaining two consecutive UNSATISFACTORY results or three total UNSATISFACTORY in research /
dissertation course (XXX699) will cease to be a PhD student.
Disqualification as PhD Student
A PhD student cannot continue as a registered PhD student in either of the following cases:
- She / he is unable to obtain a minimum CGPA 3.0 out of 4 in the course work after availing the chances of
- She / he fails twice in either CQE or SQE.
- Without any valid reason, she / he does not appear in the qualifying examination within 24 months from the
date of joining / transfer to PhD Program.
- She / he obtains two consecutive UNSATISFACTORY results in research / dissertation course
- She / he obtained three in total UNSATISFACTORY results in research / dissertation course